Language. This unit contains stories from two different authors: McLaughlin's stories (in the first half of the unit) are closer to the oral tradition, while the stories by Zitkala-Sa (in the second half of the unit) are more literary in style.
Story Length. These are all single-page stories.
Navigation. You will find the table of contents below, and you can also use this link to see the story posts displayed on two pages total: Sioux Legends. Click "Older Posts" at the bottom of that page to see the second page.
Table of Contents:
Free audiobook available:
- The Rabbit and the Grouse Girls
- The Rabbit and the Bear
- The Story of the Lost Wife
- The Simpleton's Wisdom
- A Little Brave and the Medicine Woman
- The Boy and the Turtles
- The Hermit, or The Gift of Corn
- The Mysterious Butte
- The Wonderful Turtle
- The Pemmican Man and Unktomi
- Unktomi, The Two Widows, and the Red Plums
- Unktomi and the Arrowheads
- Iktomi and the Ducks (with audio)
- Iktomi's Blanket (with audio)
- Iktomi and the Muskrat (with audio)
- Iktomi and the Coyote (with audio)
- Iktomi and the Turtle (with audio)
- The War-Like Seven (with audio)