Brer Rabbit: How Mr. Rabbit Was Too Sharp for Mr. Fox

You might remember that we left Brer Rabbit tangled with the tar-baby. So, after that interlude with Brer Possum and Brer Coon, we will go back to that scene and learn how Brer Rabbit makes his escape to the brier-patch. Then, a few stories from now, you'll see a turtle play a similar trick!

[Notes by LKG]

This story is part of the Brer Rabbit unit. Story source: Uncle Remus: His Songs and His Sayings by Joel Chandler Harris (1881).

How Mr. Rabbit Was Too Sharp for Mr. Fox

When Brer Fox find Brer Rabbit mixed up with the Tar-Baby, he feel mighty good, and he roll on the ground and laugh.

By and by he up and say, says he, "Well, I expect I got you this time, Brer Rabbit," says he; "maybe I ain't, but I expect I is. You been running round here sassing after me a mighty long time, but I expect you done come to the end of the row. You been cutting up your capers and bouncing 'round in this neighborhood till you come to believe yourself the boss of the whole gang. And then you off always somewheres where you got no business," says Brer Fox, says he. "Who ask you for to come and strike up a acquaintance with this here Tar-Baby? And who stuck you up there where you is? Nobody in the round world. You just took and jam yourself on that Tar-Baby without waiting for any invite," says Brer Fox, says he, "and there you is, and there you'll stay till I fixes up a brush-pile and fires her up, 'cause I'm going to barbecue you this day sure," says Brer Fox, says he.


Then Brer Rabbit talk mighty humble. "I don't care what you do with me, Brer Fox," says he, "so you don't fling me in that brier-patch. Roast me, Brer Fox," says he, "but don't fling me in that brier-patch," says he.

"It's so much trouble for to kindle a fire," says Brer Fox, says he, "that I expect I'll have to hang you," says he.

"Hang me just as high as you please, Brer Fox," says Brer Rabbit, says he, "but do for the Lord's sake don't fling me in that brier-patch," says he.


"I ain't got no string," says Brer Fox, says he, "and now I expect I'll have drown you," says he.

"Drown me just as deep as you please, Brer Fox," says Brer Rabbit, says he, "but do don't fling me in that brier-patch," says he.

"There ain't no water nigh," says Brer Fox, says he, "and now I expect I'll have to skin you," says he.

"Skin me, Brer Fox," says Brer Rabbit, says he, "snatch out my eyeballs, tear out my ears by the roots, and cut off my legs," says he, "but do please, Brer Fox, don't fling me in that brier-patch," says he.

Course Brer Fox want to hurt Brer Rabbit bad as he can, so he catch him by the behind legs and slung him right in the middle of the brier-patch.


There was a considerable flutter where Brer Rabbit struck the bushes, and Brer Fox sort of hang 'round for to see what was going to happen.

By and by he hear somebody call him, and way up the hill he see Brer Rabbit sitting crosslegged on a chinkapin log combing the pitch out of his hair with a chip. Then Brer Fox know that he been swap off mighty bad.


Brer Rabbit was pleased for to fling back some of his sass, and he holler out, "Bred and born in a brier-patch, Brer Fox—bred and born in a brier-patch!"


And with that he skip out just as lively as a cricket in the embers.




(500 words)