Language. Most of these stories are retellings in modern English prose, although there are also a few stories here which are told in verse, and there are some translation of Japanese poetry included in the prose stories.
Story Length. Most of these are two-page stories, with a first set of stories being about the primordial gods and goddess, and then a second set of stories about the hero Yamato. There are also several famous legends at the end of the unit.
Navigation. You will find the table of contents below, and you can also use this link to see the story posts displayed on two pages total: Japanese Mythology. Click "Older Posts" at the bottom of that page to see the second page.
- Izanagi and Izanami
- Izanagi and Izanami (cont.)
- The Miraculous Mirror
- The Eight-Forked Serpent of Koshi
- The Heaven-Descended
- The Heaven-Descended (cont.)
- The Fortunate Fish-Hook
- The Fortunate Fish-Hook (cont.)
- The Labors of Yamato - The Rescue of the Princess
- The Rescue of the Princess (cont.)
- The Labors of Yamato - The Grotto of Love
- The Labors of Yamato - The Golden Apple
- The Labors of Yamato - The Demon Boar
- The Labors of Yamato - The Grass-Cleaving Sword
- The Labors of Yamato - The Sacred Sword
- The Sacred Sword (cont.)
- The Labors of Yamato - The Dragon
- The Dragon (cont.)
- The Faery Robe
- The Jewel of Heart's Desire: The Land of Morning Calm
- The Quest of the Jewel