Jamaica: Spider Marries Monkey's Daughter

For another story about rivalry between Anansi and Lizard in getting a wife by guessing her name, see this story in the West African unit: Why the Lizard Moves His Head up and Down.

[Notes by LKG]

This story is part of the Jamaican Stories unit. Story source: Jamaica Anansi Stories by Martha Warren Beckwith (1924). I have removed the eye-dialect.


Spider Marries Monkey's Daughter


Brother Monkey had a daughter whom Brother Spider wanted to marry. Monkey didn't want Brother Spider to marry his daughter as he thought Brother Spider was too fast and beneath him; he only kept Brother Spider company as he thought him useful to him.

So he jump to Brother Green-lizard and said, "Brother Green-lizard, what you think of such cheek? Fancy! Brother Spider want to marry me daughter! I don't want to hurt his feelings as he is useful to us, so help me to get out of it."

So Brother Green-Lizard say, "I tell you a way, man. Call her 'Miss Nennan-kennan-wid-a-turn-down-gown' and whoever guess her name marry her, for Brother Spider never can guess that!"

So Brother Lizard went direct and tell Brother Spider, "When they call you all up to ask Brother Monkey daughter name, you for say, 'Miss Nennen-kennen-wid-a-turn-down-gown'."

So Brother Monkey send out word to all the gentlemen who want to marry his daughter to come and guess her name. Not one could tell her name till when he catch to Brother Spider; Brother Spider say, "Miss Nennen-kennen-wid-a-turn-down-gown."

So Brother Spider got Brother Monkey daughter and marry her.

So when Brother Spider wife had a baby, she left Brother Spider put the pickney [child] to bed while she go to pond. When Brother Spider think wife gone, him start to sing,

Hush, me pickney, hush me baby,

A me cunning make me get your mama!

Spider wife turn back and say, "A what a that you sing?"

Spider say, "Me only sing,

Hush, me pickney! hush, me baby!

It's a good thing marry your mama!"

Brother Monkey been a-come see him and hear what Brother Spider singing. Brother Monkey say, "What so you get me daughter!"

And grab away the baby and kill Spider. And as him kill Spider the pickney drop out his hand dead.

So never kill a Spider, as whatever you have in hand will be sure to break.


(300 words)