Sometimes it can help to have some prompts to get started, so here are some prompts for various stories in this unit of English Fairy Tales:
Prequels and Sequels:
- Write a prequel to Tom Tit Tot: what is the past history of this imp and why does he decide to get involved in this situation?
- Describe the scene in Binnorie that takes place in the court after the revelation of the harp.
- Imagine the events of the The Rose-Tree as a series of diary entries in the sister's diary.
- Tell the story of Binnorie in the form of diary entries from the harper.
- Retell The Rose-Tree as a newspaper report of the ongoing crime investigation.
- Retell Molly Whuppie as a newspaper article in News of the Giants, reporting the death and destruction that took place at the giant's house.
- Turn The Old Woman and Her Pig into a nursery rhyme in the style of "The House That Jack Built."
- Can you turn the Three Little Pigs into a nursery rhyme?
Ballads and Songs:
Change in Characters:
- Retell Mouse and Mouser with characters other than a cat and a mouse - either a different pair of animals, or perhaps a version with human characters.
- Tell Johnny-Cake with some other food product as the hero, plus a different cast of characters whom the hero runs away from.
- Tell a version of The Master and His Pupil featuring an OU student and some supernatural book in Bizzell Library.
- Tell the story of Henny-Penny with human characters on the OU campus instead of animal characters.
- Tell the story of Mr Miacca with a girl as the heroine, instead of a boy.
- Imagine a version of the The Ass, The Table and the Stick with a heroine who runs away from home, instead of a hero.